Friday, August 15, 2008

The Yak & Yeti

I finally got to eat at The Yak & Yeti last night! I’ve been trying to go there ever since I read about it in the paper several months ago – but for whatever reason it just never happened.

More often than not, it was simply because I couldn’t find the place. I kept forgetting to print out the address and take it with me. I knew it was on Spenard, but didn’t know exactly where.

Even having the address with me, I still drove right passed it. It’s a small place, and the sign on the door is even smaller. I’m afraid I caused a minor traffic “burp” by suddenly swinging over into the other lane to get to it, even. Oops! Sorry about that!

It was definitely worth all that, however. The food was truly fabulous! I’m afraid I don’t know the names of anything – it’s either Indian or Tibetan food – but I ate something full of lentils and curry over rice. Jana, my friend from the zoo, had a chicken tandoori dish, and her boyfriend was eating a different chicken & curry dish. All three dishes were wonderful.

I highly recommend the Chai tea – that was the best I’ve had since my yoga days. I used to go to kundalini yoga class each Saturday out in Rabbit Creek. Nirvair Singh, the man who taught it, would have a big pot on the stove, with all the spices and tea, steeping throughout the class. I could barely wait to get finished so I could go downstairs and curl up around a steaming hot mug full of the stuff! This chai brought all those memories back with the first sip.

I must say, the ratio of servers to patrons was a little lop-sided. The building has room inside for maybe 10 little tables, but they had 4-5 people wondering around the place, refilling water glasses (actually, they were metal cups, not glasses), bringing out the food, and just generally making sure you were enjoying your dining experience.

Having the owner of the restaurant fuss over you while you eat such wonderful food is not, by any means, a bad thing! As I recall from my 3 weeks spent in Mongolia last year, it is simply indicative of their culture over in that part of the world, and simply makes the meal that much better.

All three of us were doing the “happy dance” in our chairs as we ate, and none of us had any room left over for desert. I shall have to go back again and make sure I leave room – I’m sure the deserts will be just as good.

The Yak & Yeti
3301 Spenard Road
743-8078

No comments:

Post a Comment