Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Comfort Food

For lunch today, I have a big bowl of soup. The only thing that would make it any better would be the thick slice of fresh-baked bread spread with gobs of honey-butter!

I started with an organic vegetable soup base to which I added 6 chopped up turnips that came out of my sister’s garden and a container full of fresh-picked peas I got at the Saturday Market, grown right here in the Valley.

I have a huge container of soup mix made up of 10 freeze-dried vegetables with herbs and spices included that I use, as well as freeze-dried chopped onions. These came from Spices Etc. (www.spicesetc.com) and are a staple in my house. I always put a handful of the onions and two handfuls of the veggies in all my soups. Sorry, I stopped using measuring cups years ago – I go by look and/or feel.

Another thing that goes into all of my soups is garlic. I found a big container of chopped garlic in water at Costco a while ago. This is very convenient, since its stored in the fridge and doesn’t go bad. A huge heaping tablespoon of chopped garlic makes any soup that much better, in my opinion.

Since this is the main meal in my day (breakfast consists of a container of yogurt, while dinner is typically a couple pieces of toast) I load it up with veggies of all kinds – so I have packages of mixed vegetables in the freezer. This time I chose a medley of corn, black beans, and poblano peppers.

And, last but most certainly not least, I have packages of rice and/or beans that I ordered from Indian Harvest. Right before they stopped selling to the public a while ago, I stocked up on all my favorites. I have 5-6 different kinds of rice, several different kinds of beans, as well as mixtures of both. Since these things really don’t ever go bad (assuming they’re stored properly) I bought several years worth, so I’m set for quite a while, despite current food pricing hikes.

Put it all together, and mmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment