Monday, August 11, 2008

A Weekend in Seward

I took off work an hour early on Friday in order to meet up with Mother at my house so that we could head out to Seward for the weekend.

She, of course, arrived early – so I found her poking around in my yard, weeding the flower beds and checking on my plants. She is the only reason I even have a yard, so I do not mind in the least when she stops by to check on it.

Once I gathered all my stuff together and said goodbye to my kids, we hopped in the truck and started on our way.

Seward is only a couple hundred miles from Anchorage, so in no time at all we arrived at our hotel. We had rooms at the Edgewater Hotel; a very nice Best Western located at the water’s edge (hence, the name). Kelly and Danny had arrived a few hours ahead of us, and were waiting in their room for our arrival.

The rooms are very nice. We had two queen sized beds, a rather large bathroom, and a little sitting area off to the side overlooking the ocean. That was on the third floor: on the first floor, Kelly and Danny had a slightly smaller room with two double sized beds and no sitting area.

I saw several “green” things going on, and initially thought they were being so environmentally friendly – until I realized that what they were doing was driven purely by cost rather than by any urge to be good stewards of the planet.

They had changed out all their light bulbs and were encouraging people to use their towels more than once. But they were still using throw away everything, all wrapped in plastic packaging, and nothing but Styrofoam cups and plastic tableware were available at the coffee bar.

Aside from all that, it is a very nice place to stay. It’s within walking distance to just about everything in Seward, and has all the amenities you could ask for.

Our first dinner that weekend was at Yoly’s Restaurant: very good food, beautiful décor, and lively music. In fact, it was so good we ate there the following night as well, but mostly that was because the other place we wanted to go to was full up that night.

Our visit to Seward had us at the SeaLife Center and hiking at Exit Glacier, as we always do when visiting. You can read about those events in previous posting on this blog.

The morning of the day we left, Sunday, was spent walking the docks and checking out the boats in the harbor – another traditional occurrence on our visits to Seward.

We are nothing if not consistent, I’ll say that for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment