Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New Year's Resolutions - Final Tally

Resolution #1: Ride the Bus to work at least once a week during the summer months---possibly extend into the winter months, too

# summer – such as it was – is pretty much over, and I did not ride the bus even once. I’ll keep this on my list, and hopefully will someday overcome my fear of public transport. It really is the way to go.

Resolution #2: Work out at the gym at least 3 times a week---loose a pound a week---improve my lower back

# I did hire a personal trainer, and she worked with me for 10 sessions at the gym. However, I did not re-hire her once that was over – and have since decided that I really don’t like working out at the gym. I did do a lot of out-door activities this summer, though. Hiking with the family, walking with friends, tours at the zoo. I think that’s a fairly decent trade-off, even though I didn't loose a single pound.

Resolution #3: Organize my recycling efforts better---get bins set up in garage---set a regularly scheduled recycling day, perhaps quarterly

# the city stepped in for me on this one, and has implemented a curb-side recycling program. I was one of the first to join up, let me assure you. I now have a huge recycling bin on wheels, and twice a week it gets picked up right in front of my house. They take pretty much everything except glass. I’ll still need to go do that one myself.

Resolution #4: Be more aware of where my food comes from and the actual cost to our environment---buy from local Farmer's Markets---buy Organic

# I’ve been making my weekly soups out of fresh veggies I get at the farmer’s market right near my house, as well as with veggies from my family’s gardens. And I must say, the taste is wonderful.

Resolution #5: Take a load of unnecessary "stuff" to Goodwill

# I’ve given away all the stuff I had set aside, and will continue to do so as I accumulate more stuff.

Resolution #6: Vote

# I located the early-voting station right across the street from me! I’m actually pretty excited about this. I will certainly vote from now on, as I no longer have any excuses not to.

So: out of six resolutions, I’ve accomplished four of them, and one got slightly modified to where I did accomplish it, just not exactly the way I had originally intended.

That’s not bad for New Year’s Resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment