Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Family Hike Series - Part 6

Our hike this Sunday was spectacular!

We all met up at Jitters, in Eagle River, ahead of time. The parking lot at the trailhead is small, so I like to consolidate cars as much as possible. Mother, Kelly, and David went together in one car, while Rachel and I went together in another car. We could have all gone together in just one car, but since I head back in that direction anyway, I just took my car with me rather than have to double back.

It made sense in my head, whether it makes sense in writing or not!

And, sure enough, there was not enough room to park both cars at the trailhead. I’m sure the people who live nearby just hate the fact that cars park alongside the road all the time, but I really had no choice. I tucked my car as far into the ditch as I could while still being able to get out, and left it at that.

The first part of the trail is a bit steep: my calves were complaining by the time the trail leveled out. I blame that on my shoes. I bought these really expensive, supposedly really good shoes a while back, but they really don’t agree with my body. I keep wearing them, thinking either they will “break in” someday or I will… but until then, I have to put up with shin splints and sore muscles.

South Fork Eagle River trail is just beautiful up there. You’re up above the tree line with a gorgeous view of the valley below. If you’re lucky, you can sometimes see a golden eagle fly passed you, and certainly can see lots of other birds. The plant life is alpine, with lots of dwarf birch trees, monks hood flowers, and mountain harebells.

Last time we went up there, I ended up overheating because it was so hot. This time, I dressed a little bit more appropriately, so did not have that problem. I also made sure to be well hydrated, and carried a water bottle with me – along with everything else in my pack.

At one point, Mother held my pack for me. “What have you got in here!” she exclaimed once she felt how heavy it is. That’s what I get for having all those books, I suppose. But you just never know when you’ll come across an unknown plant or tree or animal track! We actually look things up all along the trails we hike, so it’s worth it to carry them.

Thankfully, the one thing I always carry but have never needed is the bear spray! Please God, I hope we never use that…

No comments:

Post a Comment