Monday, August 25, 2008

Saturday at the Zoo

My Discovery Tour was a bust this weekend. I showed up, but no body elected to take the tour. This is fairly common, particularly at this time of year: school has started, tourists are thinning out, and the weather is cooling off.

In the parking lot, as I made my way back to my car to head on home, I ran in to a couple of girls from the office. They were planning on spending a few hours at the zoo with their children before having lunch – so, I offered my services to them.

It was nice: I had three adults and 6 children, all of whom were under the age of 6. We went at their pace, of course, but still got to see the whole zoo.

The only animal we didn’t get to see was the new bear cub who is waiting to be sent outside to his new home. His mother recently had to be put down because she mauled a runner out on the trails. His twin is still out there, somewhere. The officials had hoped to be able to capture both cubs, but only got the one. Most likely, the one that didn’t get caught is dead by now. They don’t survive for long without their mother.

All in all, it was a very nice 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment