Monday, August 11, 2008

Exit Glacier

Our trip to Exit Glacier was really a great one this year.

The glacier has retreated so far that the old trails have had to be abandoned and new ones built to take you to the foot (or Toe, as they called it). They did a fantastic job with the new trails – they are just beautiful, well made, and very accessible.

The distance has – of course – increased. That’s only logical when you take in to account the fact that the glacier is farther away from the parking lot now. To me, that just makes it all the more attractive, since I had always felt like it was not that good of a hike – more like just a stroll on the sidewalk.

The trails now actually involve some elevation gain, with the accompanying spectacular views of the valley below. I never realized just how beautiful it was out there until I saw it laid out in front of me.

Because it is such a new trail system, my fancy trail book doesn’t give me any information on it. They still have you going the old route, which only has a 100-foot gain in elevation. I’m guessing this new route gives you perhaps a 1000-foot gain.

The four of us (Mother, myself, Kelly, and Danny) had just eating lunch at the Resurrection Lodge, and unfortunately my stomach decided to complain rather distressingly about what I had chosen to eat. It wasn’t life-threatening or anything like that, but it was very uncomfortable. I would have gone farther/faster, I think, had I not had to deal with that.

But, it was still well worth going to, and I look forward to future visits with the family and/or visitors!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:34 PM

    Hi Ruth! Stan's sister Nancy here. I love your site and narration of your trips. Thanks for sharing. Your last trip with trapping the animals and critters etc. WOW, what a wonderful experience!Of coarse the family trips are always very special as well. Keep enjoying life to the fullest and again thanks for sharing! Nancy

    ReplyDelete