Friday, August 08, 2008

One of Those Days

I came to work early the other day, intending to get a head start on my job because I knew I was going to be leaving at noon for the job fair.

Upon arriving at the lobby downstairs, I discovered that the elevators were not working! This meant that I had to take the stairs, of course – all the way up to the 8th floor… I was not exactly happy about that, but gamely headed up the stairs anyway. What else could I do?

When I got up to the 8th floor, I discovered that the key I have doesn’t work on that door! I tried for several minutes, thinking if I just jiggled it in the right way, the door would magically open.

It did not.

So, I sat there for a while, reading my book, in the hopes that somebody else would show up – also in the hopes that they would have a key that worked.

Nobody showed up.

After a while, I decided to head down to the 7th floor to see if those doors worked. Thankfully, they were open – so I headed in to the accounting offices where I discovered Leo and Jeff. Both of them were in the same boat I was, so we all sat around the coffee table, commiserating with each other about being locked out.

Eventually, it was decided that we should call upstairs and see if anybody was there – and discovered that several people were there! Apparently their keys worked… so they opened the stairwell doors for us, and we finally got to get started on our day.

My first task for the day was to load photos onto our FTP site from a site visit I had gone on the day before. The architect down in Washington gets a copy of my photos each week so he can keep tabs on his job.

However, when I logged on to the FTP site, I discovered that all of my settings had somehow been wiped out – which meant I couldn’t log on! While this may be puzzling (since I have no idea why my setting would suddenly disappear on me) it is typically not that big of a problem: just call the IT guy and he fixes it.

Wouldn’t you know it: the IT guy is on vacation for three weeks! So, I did the next best thing: I got upset and threw a hissy-fit.

Thankfully, my fellow co-worker took pity on my and tried to help out. We eventually got things running again, and I was able to get the photos loaded.
I could tell right then that this was going to be one of those day, and it did not disappoint me. Pretty much everything I did that day was way more difficult than it should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment