Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Diamonds

I was at the mall the other day, for my routine Letter-Writing session at The Perfect Cup. I had time on my hands so I stopped in at one of those jeweler chain stores to have my ring cleaned and inspected. After looking at it for a while, the girl behind the counter informed me that I needed to have the prongs replaced because the existing ones were wearing thin.

I went back a week later to have them do just that, having finally figured out how I was going to pay for it. This time a different girl helped me: she cleaned the ring again, filled out the paperwork, and inspected in thoroughly under a microscope.

She ended up finding a crack in the diamond, so had to call her manager to see what to do about that. They told her that they would not work on it because of the liability issues, so she recommended that I take it to a local jeweler to see what they said about it. So, just today I took a drive out to Michael’s Jewelry on 36th and Arctic.

Boy, am I glad I did.

They told me that not only were the prongs on the ring just fine, there was nothing wrong with the diamond at all. No crack, no chance of it falling apart on my finger, and no reason to spend any money on it.

They spiffed it up for me, double checked everything, and even gave me a rough appraisal on it. Come to find out the ring is worth at least $3,000.00!!!

Wow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    EXCELLENT lesson learned... thanks for sharing! Evie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:30 PM

    I love the folks at Michael's. They are friendly and fair and have A LOT of expertise!
    :) Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Sweet! Thanks for sharing - it's good to know who you can trust out there... " ) Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:03 AM

    So happy you got the ring appraised and it is okay. Never trust those rob-you-blind jewelry kiosks. Shelly

    ReplyDelete