Thursday, October 23, 2008

Walkin' with my Camel

Today, I took my camel for a walk.

Not many people can say that! And, honestly, she’s not really “my” camel. She’s the Alaska Zoo’s camel, and her name is Tula.

Tula is a Bactrian camel who is about 15-16 years old. That’s quite old for a camel; average life span for her breed is typically around 16 years out in the wild. She is doing well for her age, although she does have a fairly advanced case of arthritis.

That’s why we take her on her daily walk – to get those joints warmed up and lubricated. Her weight is also a concern (show me a lady whose weight is not a concern and I’ll show you an actress or model who’s been on a diet their whole life) – we want her to be as healthy and active as possible.

This was my first time with her and I have to admit I was pretty nervous. She is an enormous animal, weighing in at around 1,600 pounds and standing well over 7 feet tall. But Tula is a sweet old lady who only spits occasionally – and never unprovoked. Thankfully, I had her handler with me to show me the ropes, and introduce me to her slowly.

I learned how to put her halter on and off, how to encourage her to walk (which she does not really want to do, since she is so stiff and creaky), as well as how to deal with her quick temper while on the trails at the zoo. I even got to give her the shot that she has to have twice a month!

This – by the way – makes four types of animals I have given shots to now: humans (myself), cats, turtles, and camels!

Since I have all this time on my hands now, being unemployed as I am, I will hopefully get on a fairly regular schedule with her. If and when I find myself a new job, I will most likely be able to continue walking with her, just after zoo hours instead of during the day. By then, I will be more confident about the whole thing, so hopefully the darkness & cold will not be a hindrance.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:46 PM

    Hello long time no e-mail from me but I am doing well busy being mom to my teenager and 2 little ones.

    What is this unemployed? Thought you had a good job? Did they lay off people? Or where you tired of that company?

    Well have to go just checking my e-mail late tonight since my youngest wont go to sleep yet.

    ReplyDelete