Sunday, October 19, 2008

City Church

My friend Corissa invited me to go to church with her a few weeks back, so today we finally coordinated our schedules and went.

We decided to try a new church, since neither one of us really "belongs" to one individual church. The place we chose is called City Church, and is a non-denominational one. It's located really close by, so getting there is no hassle at all; in fact, Corissa could walk to it - weather allowing.

The building it occupies is an unusual one; it's most prominent feature is the circular entryway. I'm sure there's a special word for that in ecclesiastical speech, but for now I'll just go with entryway. Anyway, the roundness of it coupled with the high sloped ceiling really gives it a unique feeling. I like it.

I also like that the people attending services were very relaxed, comfortable, and welcoming. I am not one to dress up (in fact, I don’t own a dress, skirt, or anything much better than jeans) so was a little bit worried that I might not fit in. Thankfully, I fit right in.

The service began with music, which is the one thing I love most about worshiping with a group! The band was composed of young teenage boys – with the token female voice, for good measure – all playing electric guitars, drums, and base. Their repertoire of music came straight from KLOV radio, the Christian rock station I listen to all the time, so I knew most of the words. For those who did not know the words, they had two projection screens going – just follow the bouncing ball!

The only down side to my experience at City Church was the speaker for that particular day. She was a beautiful black woman from Jamaica who came to talk about her work with troubled youth. On the face of it, it should have been a very interesting sermon. Unfortunately, she pretty much shouted the entire half hour – it ended up that I couldn’t hear anything she said because she was yelling so much. I do not like yelling.

Perhaps next time they will have a “better” speaker, and I will enjoy it as much as the music. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment