Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lunch with Mother

One of the advantages of being unemployed is that I have all this time on my hands. Thankfully, I’m in a good enough financial state that I don’t have to panic: if I’m really careful with my spending habits, I’ll be ok for a little while. Hopefully long enough to find a new (better) job.

On Monday, I got to have lunch with Mother! She met me in Eagle River at Jitter’s Coffee Shop, where we grabbed a cup of hot coffee/tea and then took off walking.

It wasn’t the most strenuous walk we’ve ever done; just ambling through some of the old neighborhoods, looking at houses and reminiscing about the old times (Mother used to work in Eagle River back in her Meter Reading days).

The weather was chilly; not quite freezing, but with a definite nip in the air. It warmed up a bit once we got moving, of course, but my cheeks & nose were a rosey-red color by the time we made it back to our cars.

As always, there was an exchange of stuff from one car to the other. I had two bookshelves to hand over to Mother so she can paint them for me, and she had a bag full of clothing for me. Once we got everything situated, we took off to Jalapeño’s, a cute little Mexican place, for a bite of lunch.

If you’re ever in Eagle River, I recommend this place highly! I had their chili rellano lunch special while Mother tried a chicken dish: both were totally scrumptious! The décor in the place is quite something: bright colors and plants everywhere, so that you feel like you’re out on somebody’s patio in Old Mexico. They even have mariachi band music playing in the background.

After eating till we could stuff no more food down, we headed out for another walk through the neighborhoods around that part of town. By then, it had warmed up so much that neither of us wore our coats. Mind you, it’s still in the low 30’s – but we’re both “tough Alaskan women,” don’t you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment