Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life Goes On

Well, I've had more progress these past few days. Got my resume updated and sent out to a few friends for proof-reading. Am getting their comments back now, and will collate everything and see what I think of them. When it's all said and done, I will have a pretty good resume, I think.

I’ve got a list going of all the different places I’ll be sending that resume to – all suggested by either family members, friends, or co-workers. I also have a list of people I’d like to ask for letters of reference, but I’ll wait on that until I have a specific job I’m going after so they can write with that in mind.

I’m feeling fairly confident, although I’m still stressing over the money issues. I’m starting out in a much better place than last time, at least. I have enough savings to tide me over on house payments for several months, and hopefully unemployment will cover living expenses. I just need to be careful and not spend willy-nilly.

Mother invited me out to the farm yesterday – that was an indulgence that I won’t be able to give in to very often. The farm is 50 miles away, and gas costs over $4.00 a gallon. Still, it was so nice to spend the day out there.

She had Lauren over for her home-schooling day. They are working on Alaskan History, and have rearranged their school room downstairs: adding a few more desks and putting up new maps on the wall.

Heather is going to be going over there on Wednesdays as well, to tutor Lauren on Math for an hour or two each time. Lauren is really good on history and geography – but not so good on math (neither am I) so this works out well for everybody involved.

Including Mother: she loves having the kids over for lunch, and plans out the menu in detail each week. She makes a special dish each time, using curious little individual dishes to make it fun.

While Heather and Lauren were downstairs doing their math thing, Mother and I took a little ride out to Wasilla to a new bookstore that recently opened up. Mother wanted to check it out and see if it might be a place she’d feel like hanging out at. They have a nice cafĂ© to one side, a cute little children’s area on the other side, and rows of very interesting books set up in between. Mother and I both got lost in the history section for a while, but neither of us bought anything. We both have stacks of books just waiting to be read, and both of us are also on a tight budget.

All in all, it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment