Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Great Alaskan Home Show

Saturday, I went to the Great Alaskan Home Show, at the Sullivan Arena.

Normally, I would avoid that place like the plague: I do not like crowds and there are typically hundreds of thousands of people there. But, I had a particular goal in mind, so I had to go. I went early – got in just as they opened the door that morning – in hopes that I’d avoid the worst of it all. And I must say, my tactic worked; I was able to get the information I needed and get out of there in record time!

What I went for was window shade information. I recently got my PFD (Permanent Fund Dividend) to which was added the Energy Relief moneys our government gave out – so, I’m sitting here with well over $3,000.00! My plan is to spend about $2,000.00 on new window shades for the house (the ones that help reduce heat loss) and save the rest for my trip to Africa next year.

I wanted to make sure that I bought from a locally owned and operated company, as opposed to one of the Big Box stores (I hate those), and yet – of course – cost is an issue. Those Big Box stores do have cheap prices… But, going to the home show gives me discounts with most places: they offer specials for people who buy during that weekend – or even just show an interest.

I have three places now that I will be making appointments with. I’ll have them come over and measure everything, then give me estimates on how much its going to end up costing. Hopefully, by the end of the year, I’ll be warm and toasty with my new shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment