Monday, October 22, 2007

Lecture at the Museum

I had a very pleasant evening tonight. Mother met me for dinner at our favorite resaurant afterwhich we walked over to the museum for a lecture. The lecture was presented by a trio from Sweden; an architect/product designer firm called Claesson Koivisto Rune.

The three men each took turns describing a product or design they had worked on, highlighting everything from floor plans to furniture to cookery!

My favorite residential project of theirs was located in Spain and set up on a hill. The house itself wasn't that big, perhaps 2000 to 2400 square feet, but it was stretched out long to take advantage of the topographical aspects of the site, and was situated to have the best view.

My favorite commercial building of theirs was set in Japan; a 5-story tall building with a skin of titanium panels, each of which had been punched with holes to form a patern of leaves which allowed the sun to make shadows on the interior during the day, or for the interior lighting to shine thru during the evenings. It was very unique looking.

I have to admit that I did not care much for their furniture designs, except for one of the chairs they made for the building in Japan. They continued the punched patern onto stainless steel and created what they named the "Origami Chair" each one costing about $2000.00 each!

As for their pots and pans, they were interesting and required a lot of planning, but were rather unremarkable, in my opinion. I'm sure they cost a pretty penny too, however.

All in all, Mother and I had a very nice

No comments:

Post a Comment