Friday, April 08, 2011

What Are You Reading Now?

Read any good books lately? Post a comment and let me know, please. I love to hear what people are reading – who knows, I just might find my next favorite book!


I’m reading At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson which is a really good book. Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors; I’ll read pretty much anything he’s written.

Here’s the review by Amazon.com for the book:

Bill Bryson turns his attention from science to society in his authoritative history of domesticity, At Home: A Short History of Private Life. While walking through his own home, a former Church of England rectory built in the 19th century, Bryson reconstructs the fascinating history of the household, room by room. With waggish humor and a knack for unearthing the extraordinary stories behind the seemingly commonplace, he examines how everyday items--things like ice, cookbooks, glass windows, and salt and pepper--transformed the way people lived, and how houses evolved around these new commodities. "Houses are really quite odd things," Bryson writes, and, luckily for us, he is a writer who thrives on oddities. He gracefully draws connections between an eclectic array of events that have affected home life, covering everything from the relationship between cholera outbreaks and modern landscaping, to toxic makeup, highly flammable hoopskirts, and other unexpected hazards of fashion. Fans of Bryson's travel writing will find plenty to love here; his keen eye for detail and delightfully wry wit emerge in the most unlikely places, making At Home an engrossing journey through history, without ever leaving the house. --Lynette Mong

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM

    I just read "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. It was a good book.
    Britt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen8:48 AM

    I am three quarters thru "The Hostage" by W.E.B. Griffin. It is an extra long and detailed book but a good story line and good reading. Not for everyone. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Last night I started "I Know Why the Angels Dance" by Bryan Davis, seems good so far.

    I just finished "The Shack" by William Young. I absolutely loved the book. It is one that I will keep and read again. It really makes me think about God's relationship with us and the Triune's relationship with each other.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished Yann Martel's Beatrice and Virgil, which was really good. Am also reading Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. And on my new kindle I'm reading The White Tiger by Aravind Aviga. I'm a busy reader. Tracy Philpt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just starting "Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I read his book "The Shadow of the Wind" a few years ago and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Okay...here goes! "A Leopard Hunts in Darkness" by Wilbur Smith, "Man's Religions", an old hardback textbook from the 1980's, "Time Enough for Love" by Heinlein, "High Latitudes" by Farley Mowat, and I'm almost finished with his book: "Westviking". Just started "Death Match" by Lincoln Child, "Green Building for Dummies", "Feng Shui for Dummies", and "Solar Electricity Basics" by Dan Chiras. I think that's it...
    " ) Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I ahve just finished reading 'Jerusalem, a biography' by Simon Montefiore. Definite page turner and invaluable background on Middle eastern history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished reading, "America's Dream" by Esmeralda Santiago. Very Very Good! I love those kinds of books and its the second book I have read from her so far and I plan on reading all her other writings.

    ReplyDelete