Saturday, April 16, 2011

Djuna is Very Sick

I took her in to the vet's on Friday because she has been very lethargic and won’t wake up even when I come home from work. When I do get her up, she just wants to be held so she can sleep in my arms. She tried to jump up into my lap once and didn’t make it.

The vet weighed her (5lb 4oz), checked her heart (good), poked around at her tummy (all good), cleaned out her ears (gunky black tar, as always), took blood and gave her fluids subcutaneously. She told me I should make sure she pees/poops and eats/drinks (she is/does).

Saturday (today) the blood work results came in = not good. Her white blood cell count is through the roof, indicating a severe infection. I took her back in for x-rays and a urine sample.

The urine sample came back VERY infected. The vet says it’s highly unlikely that an infection that bad isn’t in the kidneys, too. They gave her a mega-shot of antibiotics hoping that it will work, but went ahead and sent a sample of the infection off to the lab to make sure. If the shot doesn’t work (lab will tell) I’m to bring her back in on Monday for another type of antibiotics.

The x-rays came back inconclusive, to say the least. First, they could only find one kidney. They don’t know if they’re overlapping each other in the x-rays or that she simply doesn’t have two. And the one they could see was not the shape they expected to see. It’s supposed to be shaped like a kidney bean – hers is more like an orange. They’re going to send her pictures off to an expert to see if he can determine what’s going on.

Back at home, Djuna is sleeping again. I've made her as comfortable as I can, and will try to get her to eat some canned food tonight.

Thing is very worried.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 AM

    Positive thoughts for Djuna.
    :)Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Oh Ruth, I am so sorry. It’s terrible to have one of our own so sick. My love to the little darling. We had to try several antibiotics for Spooky as I recall, but tell the vet to be persistent. And get some protein into her. I gave Spooky spoonfuls of Gerber baby food chicken. She loved it and it helped get the meds into her. XO Shelly

    ReplyDelete