Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ready to Peddle

Got my bike all fixed up for the season!

Rob got me a basket for it: it’s a cute little white wire mesh one that attaches to the front handlebars. It’s removable, even, so I can take it grocery shopping with me. I plan on stringing some colorful ribbons on it, with bows and streamers.

Because, you know, that’s what you do with a white wire mesh basket on your bicycle.

The same day he installed the basket, he also installed the water bottle clip for me. The only problem I can see with it at its current location is that if I should happen to ride through a mud puddle (which of course I would never do as it would muss up my pretty purple flowered bike!) the mouth piece of the water bottle would get all grungy. Rob suggested banding a plastic baggie over the mouth piece to protect it – but then what do I do if I need to take a drink? Not quite sure how I’m going to deal with that. I may end up just putting the water bottle in the basket and foregoing the clip altogether.

Last but certainly not least, he aired up the tires – they had gone a bit flat over the winter months. I have a little foot pump for it, but it’s rather a bear to use so we opted for his big air compressor. I will not always have access to that, however, so I need to get familiar with what I have and make do with it.

I had planned on riding to work at least three times a week – but honestly I don’t see myself actually doing that. I just do not feel like riding a bike that early in the morning, you know? I’m more likely to take it out for a spin after work, when it’s nice and sunny out. I printed out a map of the area I live so that I can plan out my rides, starting small and working my way up to the longer routes.

For the real bike rides, I am going to get a bike rack for the car. Rob has a friend who is giving one away; he says he’ll snag it for me. We just have to wait for her to come home from her year in Spain. Once I get it, I will be ready to ride, if anybody cares to join me!

Just please take it easy on me. I’m not the best bicycler in the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment