Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Walk in the Park

Mother came in to town last night, along with my sisters Kelly and Noel, and our friend Lisa. We all met up at the “sun” near my office.

This is actually the starting point for Anchorage’s Planet Walk. The “sun” is a to-scale model of our sun with informational plaques giving all kinds of information about the solar system. Each planet also has a plaque showing the relative size and giving recent scientific information, each one being the correct relative distance from the sun. It’s a really cool walk, for any of you out there interested. I highly recommend it.

Our purpose for being there last night was not to take the Planet Walk but to survey the flowers around town. The municipality has a superb gardening division – part of the Parks & Rec, I think – and each year they put out the most beautiful flowers, scattered around town at all the different parks.

We like to wander around and see what flowers they’ve chosen each year; some of them we can identify, but some are completely new to us. It motivates Mother to try out new things each year, so that she can compete with them. I just like getting my family together for an excuse to walk around outside.

It was raining last night – not hard enough to stop us, but enough to put a slight chill to the air. The flowers this year are having a hard time coping with this bizarre “summer” we’re having. I’m sure the gardens would have been truly spectacular in a “normal” summer, but they were still quite beautiful, regardless.

We wondered around for a while, until Noel had to leave for her choir practice. That left Mother, Kelly, Lisa, and myself to have dinner at the Sleeping Lady Brewery.

I had the best halibut tacos…

No comments:

Post a Comment