Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Lost Art of Writing Letters

A typical Sunday afternoon for me involves writing letters, eating lunch sitting in “my” corner table, reading my book, people watching – basically just having a nice 2 hours out at my favorite little café.

The Perfect Cup is located in the Dimond Mall, and is the best place to get a really good cup of Market Spice Tea. They sell the tea by the pound as well as by the cup. My niece Lauren recently gave me a pretty little jar that holds one pound of tea just perfectly, so I refill that about once a month and am set for tea at work!

I’ve been going there so often the waitresses all know me. They see me coming down the hall and have my cup of tea waiting for me by the time I get there. They know that I usually spend the first hour writing and/or reading – doing homework, whatever – before ordering lunch. They even know what I usually order, since I typically get the same thing each time.

It’s nice to be regular…

This time, I had note cards that I made myself the day before. I’m really getting in to the whole card-making thing. These cards weren’t exactly spectacular, but I had fun making them. I also had fun writing in them, and hopefully the recipients will have fun receiving them. It’s a win-win-win situation!

Typically, I write to my niece Lauren, who is deaf so I can’t really talk to her on the phone. I also write to my other niece Laurel – she just had a baby; I’m sure appreciates a moment or two to relax over a chatty letter. My other niece Tara also gets a letter each week, mostly because I print out the latest Sudoku puzzles for her – I know she loves those.

This week, I also included my sister-in-law, Heather. She had made a necklace for me so I wanted to send a thank-you note to her. It’s a really nice one, with leather, glass, and silver all mixed up together.

Now if only I could get even one of them to write me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment