Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Babysitting Plants for a Friend

My friend Anne is vacationing in Germany for the next 3 weeks. She asked me to take care of her plants for her while she’s gone – so I met up with her on Saturday to get the keys and instructions.

Her place is a really cute little duplex just off of Valley of the Moon park. I worried about her moving in there at first: that park is notorious as a hang-out for the homeless. I just knew she would have scary people living in her back yard, or worse yet trying to get into her place on a cold winter’s night. But, she’s been there a whole year now, and hasn’t seen even one – so I guess they’ve cleaned up the park since I last had a picnic there.

The plants that she has are all very easy to take care of; most of them come from my Mother, even! Anne asks me to take care of her place each time she leaves, and I always end up added more and more plants to her collection each time.

The minute Anne leaves, I call Mother and tell her, “I have the keys to Anne’s house again, if you have any plants you want to get rid of!”

Anne obviously doesn’t mind, since she keeps asking me back. Either that or she forgets each time. And it’s not like I’m killing her plants… just multiplying them.

Since she will be gone for three whole weeks, she gave me some chocolates that she had around the house because they would “go bad” before she got home. Personally, I didn’t know that chocolate could go bad, but who am I to refuse good chocolates?

These are from Germany, given to her by her family (yes, she’s German and is going home to visit her Grandmother), so are extra special. Oddly enough, my cat Djuna LOVES them! She keeps getting in to them, no matter where I put them. Currently, I’ve got them up high in the cupboards in hopes that Djuna won’t find them. I don’t know for sure, but I think chocolate is bad for cats… not to mention the fact that they’re MY chocolates, and I don’t share!

No comments:

Post a Comment