Thursday, April 10, 2008

Young Entrepreneurs

Man what a weird April. It is snowing again, dumping yet more snow on the ground. The temperatures are down in the low 20s, and the driving conditions are not good – to say the least! The deadline to take studs off is fast approaching, and I’m afraid we’ll still have snow even then. It will be a matter of deciding: do I want to break the law but drive safely and keep my studs on, or risk diving in the ditch at every attempted stop by having them taken off?

Anyway, since my back injury some time ago, I simply cannot shovel snow. It’s too heavy. I used to have a guy who came with his snow blower to take care of things for me. He was so good: always on time, always professionally done, never a problem. And then he goes and moves out of state on me!

It’s very hard to find a snow removal service, simply because they are all over booked and under manned. I have been doing as much as I can on my own, but that’s just not good enough.

A few months ago, I was working away on my computer upstairs when the door bell rang. I opened the door to find two kids from the neighborhood standing there with shovels in their hands.

“Can we shovel your driveway for you?” they asked.

“Yes!” I replied, “Please do!”

In fact, I encouraged them to come back each time it snowed. We agreed to a price ($15.00 each time) and got the details worked out (they are to shovel the snow onto my lawn, not the neighbor’s driveway) and I’m set!

The kids are very enthusiastic about their money-making venture: I see them walking up and down the street after each snowfall, tending to their customers. They’re not as good as my guy was, but I don’t mind in the least.

More power to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment