Friday, April 18, 2008

Volunteer Work at The Alaska Zoo

Things are picking up, from a volunteer’s point of view. Summer sun means a lot more opportunities for getting out and enjoying the zoo!

I gave two tours last weekend: one for my hiking group and one for a birthday party.

The tour for the hiking group was a last-minute idea that I just “thru out there” to see if anybody would be interested. Several people were, but just couldn’t make it on that particular day. I ended up with only one lady! I will be offering another tour to the hiking group later on in the year, to see if I get better attendance.

I had several “shadows” with me that day = volunteers who are learning how to give a tour. Unfortunately, I had more shadows than guests, so I felt a little awkward. But my guest seemed to be ok with it, and I did give her a good tour.

The second tour was much better as far as attendance goes. It was a birthday party for a boy who had just turned 7. He had his family along with him, as well as several friends and their families – a nice big group. They were very excited to be at the zoo that day, so were very easy to work with.

The weather was cooperating with us, too. The animals were all out and about, so we got to see almost all of them; the exception being the black bears, who are not awake yet apparently.

On a sad note: the old coyote who has been with us at the zoo for many years had to be put down that day. Beth, one of the zookeepers, told me about it when she saw me with the group out on the trails. She wanted to make sure I knew what was going on so that I could tell them. She had tears in her eyes when she told me: she had been his keeper for many years, and had formed quite a bond with him. He was old, though, and had not been in the best of health lately.

The next few weekends will be busy ones, too – we have the Earth Day Celebration, the Kid’s Fun Run, and several more tours scheduled. Then the real fun begins: our summer programs kick in with our Tuesday Night at the Zoo, our Friday Night at the Zoo, and our Discovery Tours.

I’ll be working over 30 hours a month from mid-May thru to the end of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment