Monday, April 28, 2008

Snowed Out AGAIN

I was to have had quite the busy weekend at the zoo – but got snowed out AGAIN.

This is April, for goodness sake… isn’t that supposed to be Spring? With green grass and flowers and all that?

But, no. We get snow, snow, and more snow. I have two feet of the stuff on my driveway at the moment. And I’m not happy about it, either.

Friday was to have been a girl scouts program, with the brownies. It’s totally understandable why they would cancel that one. Even if the parents could get there on roads that were barely drivable, the children would not be able to go outside for any length of time due to the blizzards and their young age.

Saturday was to have been a 4-hour camp, which I was to do the tours for. These kids were considerably older and could have managed the weather just fine. It was the road conditions that cancelled that one, I think. O’Malley was pretty bad – with unfortunately an accident causing a death even.

Jana, the education director’s assistant, and I didn’t know it was cancelled at first, so we were setting things up in preparation for their arrival. The greenhouse was unavailable for the camp (that’s where we usually hold them all) due to the fact that the gardeners were spraying the plants with chemicals.

So – we were outside in the picnic area. There is a roof over the tables, but no walls. Even with the roof, there was still about a foot and a half of snow to be swept off each table! Jana was covering the seats with plastic bags and towels so the kids would have somewhere to sit down.

It wasn’t until we were all set up and ready that we got the call announcing the camps cancellation. Oh well…

So, instead I got the oil changed in my car, got myself a haircut, got restocked on cat food and kitty litter, and treated myself to a bagel for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment