Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Me and My Big Mouth

Back in my mid-20s, I went thru a period of time where my PAP tests kept coming back with an abnormal read. This required a lot of repeat tests, so I had to go back in to the doctor’s office almost on a monthly basis. As most any female will tell you, a PAP smear is not exactly a fun thing to do, and to have to do it multiple times was seriously not fun!

In the middle of all of this, I happened to go out to lunch with some friends one day. The restaurant we chose was a Thai food place located nearby, and as we walked in to the place, I saw my doctor with a group of his friends getting ready to walk out of the place.

“Fancy meeting you here.” He said.

I’m sure it was just a nice thing to say, to acknowledge my presence and offer a pleasant greeting.

But then I go and open my mouth to reply, saying the first thing that popped into my head.

“At least I get to keep my clothes on this time.”

The very second those words were out of my mouth, I really, REALLY wished I could stuff them all back in.

I cannot believe I said that.

The whole entire restaurant, full of the workday lunch crowd, heard me. My doctor’s friends were practically rolling on the floor, they were laughing so hard.

We both just left the building, and tried to pretend it hadn’t happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment