Friday, December 30, 2022

Penguins!

My annual review was the other day – although technically it can’t actually be called an annual since it was the first one I’d ever had. I suppose that speaks to their intentions, I guess. Anyway, in preparation for the review process, we were given some forms to fill out as well as a copy of the National Standard Pay Rates for people in our business. We were instructed to compare our own salary with what was listed, to see if we were being properly compensated.

I looked through the list and found three positions that could be used to describe what I do: Drafter, CAD Operator (Senior Level), or Designer (Architectural). Since my business card has me listed as a Senior CAD Designer, I went ahead with the middle choice. According to that – I am woefully underpaid.

During my actual review, my boss admitted to the shortage and said “I’ve never given such a substantial raise before, but we have to bring you up to standards!”  and not only that, but he made it retro-active to the beginning of 2022!

Hot Damn!!! I am now $8,000.00 (before taxes, of course) richer with a salary much higher than it was.

So of course, I immediately called Earthwatch and signed up for another expedition – this time I’ll be going to Argentina to work with Penguins!!!!

I’m so excited. I have a friend who lives in Buenos Aires, so I plan to stop in and visit her either before the expedition or on my way home, depending on our schedules.

In preparation for the trip, I have already signed up for Conversational Spanish lessons, and have plans to join a gym to get into better shape.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Sweet!!! Good on you, Ruth. =^)

    ReplyDelete