Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Jury Duty


My first day of Jury Duty was about as good as it gets: Monday was a holiday and the court house was closed! Yet another reason to be thankful for Martin Luther King.

For my second day, my number was called so I had to go in. Right off the bat, I learned something new = the metal plate in my neck does in fact set off the alarms at the security gate! Thankfully, Dr. Kralick gave me a card to carry with me that explains what’s going on. Also thankfully I remembered to bring it with me.

Once I got settled in upstairs in the waiting room, I ran in to a friend I hadn't seen in probably 15 years. He’s the one who recognized me at first, but once he stopped to talk to me I remembered him immediately. He and his wife had been good friends back in the day; hopefully we can be again. Then, once they started reading off names, I came across another good friend I hadn't seen in a while! Two in one day – that’s pretty cool.

The case I got assigned to (actually all three of us got assigned to it) was another sexual assault case. I say “another one” because last time I got called for jury duty I ended up on a case involving a 57 year old man and a 5 year old child. This time, thankfully, it was not quite so bad since both parties involved were adults within a year or two of age.

The jury pool for the case consisted of at least 75 people, so right away they started winnowing out people for various reasons. I made it through the first purge, but on the second one I did get excused. So, I went to work.

I’m still calling in each night, but the odds of my number being called again are fairly low so I just may be done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment