Monday, May 09, 2011

Yard Work

I found the best way to get the yard work done: have a garage sale! Oh, and invite your Mother, sister-in-law, and boyfriend, too. My sister-in-law raked the yard while Mother stuffed all the leaves into sacks, then Mother weeded the garden. Meanwhile, Rob was out back raking up all those weeds!

I tell you: my yard looks totally awesome now, and all I had to do was man the garage sale. I think that’s a pretty good trade.

After the garage sale closed down on Sunday I did go out back and help out; honestly I did. All those weeds Rob raked had to be carried over to the mulch pile – which is more work than it seems at first, mainly because there were sticker bushes hidden in the pile and I have no work gloves.

Once all that was taken care of we set to work on the fence between my “share-a-wall” neighbor’s yard and mine. Many, many years ago it had fallen down. I had it propped up with a 2x4 which worked quite well, but was not exactly a “professional job”. Rob fixed it up in no time, and even worked on removing some dead branches from the spruce tree in the corner. My mock orange now has lots of room to expand, and the birds have more room to get to the birdfeeders as well.

The fence between me and my “share-a-yard” neighbor was our next focus – and it turned out to be a lot more work than we planned for. The soil right there is completely saturated so all the posts are severally rotten. In fact we just barely touched them and they all fell over leaving the fence propped up by only a nail on either end. Rob tried to dig some post holes but the mud was so bad he couldn’t get the posts set. We’ll have to pick up some cement and hope that fixes the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Isn't it great to be able to do all the outdoor spring things again!?
    Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete