Monday, May 23, 2011

First “Hike” of the Season

The first hike of the season snuck up on me this year. I usually send out an announcement a week prior so that people can get their schedules arranged around the hike, then send out a reminder on Friday to ensure they all remember. This time, however, it was Friday night – almost Saturday morning, truth be told – when I looked at my schedule and realized what day it was. We had a poor turnout as a result: just me, Rob and Mother.

The 2011 Family Hiking Series began at the Bird Creek trail. I told people to meet up at the parking lot at mile 102.1 but that turned out to be closed for the season – so we had to park across the street instead. It was okay, just a bit scary crossing the highway right there.

It was such a beautiful day, even though it was a bit windy. We walked for a good 2 hours, down to the waterfall and back. I realized once again that I really do need to break down and actually buy myself a windbreaker. It also started to sprinkle a little bit while we walked, but that was okay. We need the rain, and it felt so good to be out and about that we didn’t mind getting wet.

That just gave us an excuse to stop at the Indian House for their scrumptious Fish & Chips afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment