Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Complete 180

I got an email from Rob yesterday stating that he never wants to see or hear from me again.

How’s that for a nice way to wake up in the morning.

Honestly, it took me by complete surprise. I was not expecting that at all. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that - I should have known; but I was blindsided.

He wouldn’t answer his phone, either. He’d hang up when he knew it was me, and eventually turned his phone off. I did finally get to talk to him about 10 hours later. That’s when he told me that his mind is made up and it’s final. I didn’t have a chance to talk at all, hardly.

So.

I bundled all his stuff together and took it over to his house. I just wanted him to tell me to my face, which he did. So I left him with these words:

“Always remember that I am your friend. And I’m so very sorry.”

---

Back at home, I was obviously distressed. I decided to distract myself by taking a walk about the neighborhood. That turned out to be not such a good idea. Apparently somebody saw me: I was crying and walking rather like a zombie not paying any attention to my surroundings. They got concerned: they didn’t recognize me as somebody who lives around here, and since I was obviously not happy they actually called the police!!!

By the time the police found me, I was sitting in my driveway leaning up against my garage just watching the traffic go by. I didn’t want to go back inside because then I’d be sitting and staring at the phone. The police parked two cars at my drive way and came up to talk to me.

Now really: the Police? I’m touched that a complete stranger would be so concerned about my welfare and that the police would take time out of their day to deal with such a trivial matter. But really: the Police?

They were very nice. They asked for my name, birth date, and phone number. They asked if this was my house I was leaning against. They made sure I wasn’t locked out, or that “he” wasn’t still in there (thinking I was perhaps afraid to go back in), asked if I had any friends they could call for me, and then left me with the assurance that I could call them if I needed somebody to talk to.

Really? The police?

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Bummer, what a putz! He doesn't deserve you.
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a chickenshit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Men... maybe we should have turned gay way back when we were accused of it.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you o.k.?
    If you need to chat, I'm phone call away.. sorry.. what the heck got to him..
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Wow Ruth, sounds like the entire situation was blown out of the sky. I am sorry he is such a pud. My heart goes out to you! I am glad you have such concerned neighbors, but you are right, the cops were a bit much.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:27 AM

    I'm so sorry, Ruth. I know your heart is broken and I wish that I could say something to help. If I were you, I would honor his request and not try to contact him at all. He probably realizes that a serious relationship is not right for him now. I know that leaves you with a lot of emptiness. But, you can move on, even though it hurts. You can do it! There's better days to come!
    -Billie

    ReplyDelete