Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Highly Recommended

I am reading a really good book right now, called Poseidon’s Steed by Helen Scales, PH.D. I highly recommend it to you!

Below is an expert:

“What was so special about that encounter with my first seahorse? Why are seahorses different from so many other creatures I have gazed upon during hours and days underwater? It surely has something to do with their unconventional beauty, their unique combination of features, a demure down-turned snout and tightly curled tail, as sensitive and nimble as an elephant’s trunk. Was it the anticipation of seeing one and the satisfaction, after such a long wait, of finally spying one of these wily masters of disguise that can match themselves so expertly to their surroundings? Sharks are breathtaking in their nonchalant efficiency as they slice through the water like sleek torpedoes. Reef fish are instantly gratifying, colorful and brazen, flitting around like butterflies of the sea. But seahorses hold a secret intimacy, a special reward for the keen-eyed. And perhaps deep down I held on to a childhood suspicion, an irrational part of me that didn’t quite believe seahorses really do inhabit the oceans. Seeing one felt like glimpsing a unicorn trotting through my garden.”

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:41 PM

    "But seahorses hold a secret intimacy, a special reward for the keen-eyed. And perhaps deep down I held on to a childhood suspicion, an irrational part of me that didn’t quite believe seahorses really do inhabit the oceans. Seeing one felt like glimpsing a unicorn trotting through my garden.”

    I saw a seahorse on my very first dive in the ocean, while taking my diving test, off the dock of a hotel in Cozumel Mexico! I remember screeching thru my regulator and pointing. My instructor saw it and was stunned. After the dive was over, and we were topside, he told me that some people dive for years and never see one, and he'd dived all over the world and that was his first. I felt exactly the way Dr. Scales described it! *sigh* Diving is awesome!
    ~Tuesday~

    ReplyDelete