Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It’s Beautiful!

I had a most productive evening last night: one of those that make you feel really satisfied with the work put in to the efforts. I’m quite pleased with myself, even. All that time spent sanding on my garage door has finally paid off.

Rob came over after work and brought his air compressor. We spent maybe 15-20 minutes cleaning all the dust and debris off and then settled in to the staining. We really slopped it on, too: the wood just soaked it all in. Some of us were a bit sloppier than the others, however. On Rob’s side of the garage door there a considerable amount of drips on the concrete below. My side is, of course, much neater and cleaner. Which may actually mean that I didn’t put enough up there – time will tell.

It looks so pretty now! We finished just as the sun began to set (yes, the sun is actually beginning to set again finally: The Darkness is Coming!); the lighting was just perfect so that my door was glowing a deep reddish brown color. Fabulous! Technically, though, it’s supposed to be a Cedar on Cedar semi-transparent stain that enhances the wood grain yet still protects it from weather & sun. The red color was added by the sun – I hope. I’ll find out when I get home tonight.

While we were at it, we went ahead and stained the Front Entry Deck and the boardwalk leading from the drive way to the front door. Both desperately needed it, although we hadn’t stripped the entry deck so just applied the new stain on top of the old stain. It’s now a lovely shade of really dark brown – and is also still quite wet. Perhaps it will lighten up once it’s dried. The boardwalk soaked all the stain up almost immediately – I’m thinking we’ll have to put another coat down on it.

As an added bonus, Rob installed my peephole! We’ll of course take it out before painting the door, but for now I can see who’s knocking at my door finally. We also got the paint picked out for the door: a nice dark red color.

I had thought to paint both sides of my door – both outside and inside. What do you think?

Rob thinks I should only paint the outside. I have to admit, he’s probably right – but there’s something intriguing about having a red door even on the inside. It would really stand out, that’s for sure. All my walls inside are painted white, with lots of oak trim everywhere, and blue carpet.

Next on the list of chores to finish up on is the roof. The forecast is calling for a whole week of sunshine, so we’re tentatively planning on applying the bleach solution on Thursday evening. This will give the moss 4 days to dry out prior to application, and then the whole weekend to die before Rob gets back up there on Sunday (or Monday) to get rid of it all.

Gosh… I just had a disturbing thought. What ever will I do with myself once all these chores are done!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Paint the door however YOU want it painted! You can always repaint if you decide you can't live with it. Have fun with the roof and be careful, both of you! And, no worries, there will always be something else to do..... " ) Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete