Saturday, August 21, 2010

House Chores

Am I the only person on the planet who never thought to wash her front door? I’ve been complaining about how dingy and dull my door was, to the point where I’d convinced Rob that we need to paint it bright red. Well, in preparing for the new paint – I washed it.

Wow! What a difference that makes. I’m almost tempted to not paint it now, except I really do want a bright red door. Don’t ask me why; I still can’t figure that out.

Now my door is the same color as the walls inside my house, where it used to be … gosh, I don’t know what to call the color it used to be: somewhere between volcanic ash and 12 years of fingerprints and grime. And for some reason, the inside of the door was dirtier than the outside. I really don’t understand that one, except that maybe the rain showers actually did some good out there.

I also managed to finish sanding the garage door finally today. I probably could do some more touch-up work on it, for at least another week or two – but really, I think it’s ready for the new coat of stain. Then it, too, will look so much better! At the same time, we might end up staining the front walkway and entry way while we’re at it.

And can you believe this weather! The sun is actually shining, without a single drop of rain to be felt. Rob told me I wasn’t allowed to go up on the roof myself – he seems to think I’m a klutz and will fall off and break my neck. I’m tempted to go up there anyway, just to spite him. But knowing my luck, I probably would fall and break my neck. He will be back in town on Sunday and can go up there and kill all the moss himself. I’ve got all the supplies on hand – just need to mix them all together and have it ready for him.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Hey Ruthie,

    I de-mossed my roof last year. A pushbroom and steel brush were my main tools. It's easiest to brush it off before spraying with the Clorox solution. With the sunny days we're (finally) having it should be a snap. Afterwards, you can install zinc tape along the roofline. It won't kill the moss, but it will keep it from growing back. It needs to be placed where the rain will hit it to wash the zinc solution down over the roof. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. I did all my roof work at home alone and survived, but if you need a ladder safety watch, give me a call. I'm just about done with my DIY stuff.

    Cyrinda

    ReplyDelete