Monday, March 22, 2010

Turn Left

My first day on the job went well – that’s a good omen, I think. Of course, it was just driving from point A to point B, but still… at least I made it in one piece.

And let me tell you – the drive from Palmer to Delta Junction has to be the most gorgeous drive I’ve ever been on! Absolutely stunning scenery: every time you turn a corner a whole new vista opens up in front of you, taking your breath away and leaving you completely awed. I wanted to stop and take a picture each time, but I had a deadline to keep to so I only got a few of them.

I started out from my house at 9:30 and ended up at my sister’s house in Palmer an hour and a half later (I stopped to get gas and wash windows along the way). A cup of tea and an omelet later, and I’m back on the road an hour later heading north. I stopped again, to stretch my legs and eat a bite at Miers Lake around 2:30 and got in to Delta Junction by 5:00.

The title of this posting comes from the fact that everybody that I asked for directions to Delta all said the same exact thing: “Turn left.” And they were right! There are only two intersections to deal with between here and there, and at both of them I turned left.

I found my hotel easily enough; got checked in & settled in. I even met one of my FOS (Field Operations Supervisors) already – we’ll all get together tomorrow morning , bright and early, to start our enumeration training.

I am having email difficulties, though… of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment