Saturday, March 27, 2010

Home Again – Albeit Temporarily

These past few days have been busy ones! I worked so hard on Thursday that I didn’t have a chance to update my blog even. But I did get my binder done, and even managed to help a few other people out with their stuff, and help do payroll too. Not a bad way to end ones assignment, if I do say so myself.

The following day I packed up my car and headed on home. I had originally intended to start out at 9:00 but couldn’t sleep I was so excited to be going home, so ended up leaving at 8:00 instead. This put me in to Palmer just in time for lunch at 1:00 then arriving in Anchorage by 3:00, exhausted but happy.

My girls were so happy to see me! I missed them so much…

The first phone call I made was to my boyfriend/babysitter to let him know I’d arrived safe and sound and to let him know he should come right over because I missed him, too. My second phone call was to Mother for the same reason – although for her it was a surprise, since she didn’t know I was coming home so soon. I’ll head out there on Monday to see everybody. My third phone call was to GCI to see if I could fix my email problems so that hopefully I will be able to stay in contact with people on my next assignment.

By that time, Rob arrived and announced that he was taking me out on an actual date: dinner & a movie. Dinner was at Pizza Olympia, an absolutely fabulous place with probably the best spaghetti I’ve had in a very long time. I really was exhausted, though – so had to beg off the movie. I promised him I’d go see one with him one day soon, but after I was done with this Census thing.

I had to make a run in to the main office Saturday morning to turn in payroll and restock my supply of forms (this is the government, after all – no shortage of forms required to do my job). While I was there, I got to help out a little bit in “the back room” where they QC all the binders that come in from out in the field. It really helps to know what sort of problems they encounter – hopefully I can make sure they all get fixed BEFORE the binders go back to Anchorage. Well, that’s the intention at least.

Also while I was at the office I got my new marching orders: Tuesday morning I’m being sent to Perryville! My first thought on hearing that was “Where the heck is Perryville?”

Googlemaps shows where it is - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=perryville,+alaska&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.858685,83.671875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Perryville,+Lake+and+Peninsula,+Alaska&ll=55.912273,-159.125977&spn=10.594359,20.917969&z=6

I’m pretty excited about it, actually. My new boss (coincidentally named Perry – I kid you not) advised me to pack for wind and rain, so Rob and I headed out to The Outdoor Store where I snagged a pair of wind pants for the super-low sale price of only $19.95 (REI had them for around $89.00 and on up). I also got the coolest hat: it’s one of those with ear flaps and a long tassel on top, and it’s all in shades of green.

To celebrate my new destination we had lunch at one of my favorite places: The Organic Oasis. I do love that place… they have the best salads.

Now I’m relaxing at the computer and am contemplating a relocation up to the library to watch some tv for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Ruth-Welcome back! I'm glad you made it. I'm excited and happy that your first assignment went well. I'm on my way North tomorrow for a week and a half and I'll bug ya when I can. Take care~ " )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, back at home safe and sound.
    See, I told you you'll do fine!.
    So, you flying to Perryville? That might be interesting trip.
    Looking forward to pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Welcome back. Enjoy the Penninsula, it is beautiful there. I am so happy this worked out for you. You sound great! I am envious of your traveling!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete