Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thank God For Long Underwear

I never thought I’d be saying this, but honestly – Thank God for Long Underwear! Its mighty cold out here, where the land is so flat you can see the mountains that are millions of miles away (slight exaggeration). The cheap clip-on thermometer that I got for my coat zipper told me it was about 25 degrees out, but with the wind chill factored in I’m thinking it was more like -20.

We met this morning as a group over at the City Hall for a very brief introduction to our fellow Crew Leaders and then carpooled over to an apartment building for our on-the-job training. I had been so hot in my hotel room that I severely under-dressed. Thankfully I got to go back to my hotel room to redress after only an hour or so outside, so got to finish out my training in relative comfort.

The apartment building we chose to be trained on turned out to be mostly vacant, so that didn’t really go so well. But we regrouped, got organized again, and headed out to do some actual door-to-door counting (the official term is “enumerating”). I ended up going with Dallas, our trainer, and Aaron, a fellow trainee. We even got to do a group home, which is treated much differently than a normal house would be.

I have to admit that so far, I have not been eating very healthily (is that grammatically correct? I think not). I had some instant oatmeal for breakfast, a Cliff bar for lunch, and a bagel with peanut butter for dinner. The other guys all met for pizza last night, but I declined because I didn’t want to spend my first night here being sick from eating cheese – and if I had gone, I would have eaten it even though I know I can’t anymore. I love cheese!

Anyway, that’s my life so far out here in Delta.

2 comments:

  1. Stewart2:11 AM

    Sounds like fun ...well, except for the no cheese part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Sound like fun:) Get to see parts of Alaska you might not have otherwise.

    Heather and Reed

    ReplyDelete