Thursday, March 11, 2010

Interesting Development

Two of them, actually.

First – I’m seeing somebody. His name is Rob, and he is a wonderful man. I worked with him back 20 years ago, but he moved out of state and I forgot about him. He’s back up here now, and looked me up simply because I’m somebody he used to know – and we connected! I’ve gone out with him almost every night since our first date. He’s the type of guy who always opens doors or gives his arm when we’re walking over an icy patch. I’ve never really known anybody like that before.

Second – I may have a job! What I actually have is the possibility of a job, but it could turn in to something pretty cool. It’s for the 2010 US Census: I’d be a crew leader (a supervisory position) out in remote places. I go in for a week-long training course next week (paid, thankfully) then if I “pass” that I could get sent out for weeks at a time. It involves snow machines, 4-wheelers, dog sleds, small airplanes… all means of traveling, since most of the villages out here don’t have cars.

As an added bonus – I get to go to Fairbanks this weekend! My friend Lorna had a companion fare ticket (meaning the second guy goes for only $50) so I can afford it. We’re going to stay at the Chena Hot Springs and take their Geothermal tour, hike the trails around there, and see if we can take some good photos of the Northern Lights (although this is not a good year for that, it being the low point of the sun cycle). Then we’ll head back in to Fairbanks and visit the Cold Climate Housing Research Center for a quick tour before heading on back home.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Ruth! I'm so happy to hear both these developments! You deserve someone wonderful, and I will be crossing my fingers for the job! Congrats on both counts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Ruth, that things are changing for better.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete