Thursday, May 08, 2008

Revit Training

The Alaska Computer Brokers had what they called The Great Alaskan Roadshow the other day, where they set themselves up in the Egan Center for a whole day of workshops on all of their Autodesk products.

My friend Rikki works there – in fact, I do believe her family owns the business – so she invited me to come for lunch. We took our box lunches out to the park and sat under the trees. It’s still not quite green yet, so the trees were still bare with no leaves – but it was very nice to sit outside and chat with a friend.

She and her coworkers had just come back to town from Fairbanks, where they held the same workshops up there. Rikki spent our lunch hour telling me all about the things she got to see while up there: the Cold Climate Housing Research Center, Chena Hot Springs, and a few other places as well. Since I am heading up that direction myself in a few weeks, she was encouraging me to visit them, too.

Since most of the workshops offered that day were for AutoCAD – which I am fairly proficient at already – I did not attend any of them. They did offer a Revit workshop, however, at the end of the day – and that one I most definitely attended! I am currently attempting to learn Revit by taking the tutorials offered in the HELP section of the program. I am not very good at learning a new program by myself like that, so the workshop really came in handy – if only by allowing me to watch somebody use the program who knows what he’s doing.

While I was there, I learned about a crash course they are offering in June: they will condense the regular 16-week Revit Training Class down to one 8-hour day! I’m sure it will be insane, but the price is good enough to convince my company to pay for it – so, I am going!

Rikki gave me the book ahead of time, so maybe I can get familiar with it before the actual crash course. And as Lisa, the office assistant here at work, suggested – I will take lots of paper and pencils to take notes! She even asked if I might consider giving a brown-bag afterwards, to spread my new knowledge around a bit. That should be interesting…

1 comment:

  1. I'm famous! Bwahahahaha

    Also, if you need help with the brown bag, let me know. I can send Paul over there to do a demonstration. He'll even bring the food :)

    ReplyDelete