Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Children’s Lunch Box

This is a program that Bean’s Café, here in Anchorage, runs to provide lunches for children. According to their flyer 15,000 Anchorage children depend of free and reduced price lunches every day of school. Many of these children have no other meal during the day. The Children’s Lunchbox program provides 65,000 meals annually and serves 200 children everyday.

www.beanscafe.org

One of the ways they raise the funds necessary for this program is by having a promotional day where they offer lunches to offices around town. You purchase a bag lunch for $15.00 and receive a sandwich, chips, a cookie, and some juice all bundled up in a paper lunch bag that has been decorated by the children. They take orders ahead of time, and deliver the bags to your office.

Today was the day for our special lunch – my sandwich was donated by The Organic Oasis, one of my favorite restaurants. Other participating restaurants are: The Sizzlin’ Café, Burrito Heavan, Subway, Snow City Café, Café Amsterdam, and Marty’s NY Deli.

I have to say, $15.00 is an awful lot to pay for a sandwich and some chips, and as I recall they almost always get the order wrong so I end up with something entirely different than what I ordered – but it is a charitable donation for a good cause, so I keep buying a lunch each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment