Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Division of Motor Vehicles

I had to renew my drivers license yesterday: my birthday was a few days ago and it had expired on that day.

This is actually only the second time I’ve ever gone to the DMV in my entire life! I got my license late in life and renewed it last time thru the mail (they sent me a little sticker to place on the card, and that sufficed). It had me down as being 22 years old and only 125 pounds – god knows THAT is no longer true!

I must say, I am impressed. I had expected the process to be a long, grueling 4-hour ordeal but was in and out in about half an hour. They were very well organized, processing a whole lot of people efficiently and quickly.

The building itself is rather cool; it was designed by the company I used to work for, although I had no hand in the job. The main room where most of the work takes place is circular, with 11 stations on the outer ring and seating in the center. There is an information counter right as you come in that answers all your questions, telling you what forms to fill out and where to go. You take a number, then sit down and wait till you number is called.

When I got there, they were on number 692 – and the number in my hand was 751. I thought for sure it would be a long wait, and was really wishing I had not finished my book at lunch. I barely had time to get uncomfortable in the chair, however, when they called my name.

I went to station #7, gave the lady my paper work, took my eye exam, and paid the $20.00 fee. She scooted me on to the photo wall, and I had my new license in hand about 5 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment