Monday, May 19, 2008

Family Hike Series - Part 1

Well – the first hike of the season went quite well, I must say!

Mother, Chris, Kelly, Myself, Laurel, TJ & Corbin, Gareth & Mikanna, and Sara (aka: Stinky) all gathered at the parking lot around 2:00. Thunderbird Falls is an easy trail; just a mile in and a mile back out.

I discovered my super-great hiking book was WRONG – they said no fee was required, but the parking police said different. And, since he carried a gun, I was inclined to believe him and not the book. I went ahead and bought myself a year’s pass, so that I won’t have to worry about it in the future.

The night before our hike, I had stuffed my backpack with everything I could think of needing: bear spray, bug dope, binoculars, camera, Band-Aids for blisters and cuts, my hiking book, my plant book, my tree book… all sorts of things.

When I got to the trailhead, however, I realized that I had forgotten the two most important items: water and MY HIKING BOOTS. How silly is THAT? I had to hike in my clogs, which I do not recommend. It totally aggravated my blisters…

The summer season isn’t quite upon us yet, so there was still a bit of snow & ice on the grounds, and the leaves on the trees were just teeny tiny buds. But, it was still a nice day – so good to get out and about with family!

No comments:

Post a Comment