Saturday, May 11, 2024

New Glasses

It’s been a long time since I last had insurance that covered Vision so when the company I work for finally switched to a plan that includes vision care I quickly decided to take advantage of it. It had been well over 6 years since my last eye exam, so I was pretty sure I needed to update my reading glasses. Plus, I wanted to talk about some options for dealing with my migraines and their aversion to flashing lights. 

First thing I did was put a text out to the family asking for recommendations on Optometrists here in Palmer. Then I looked online to see which doctors my new insurance company will work with and compared that list to the one my family gave me. My decision was made for me, since there was only one name that appeared on both lists: Lodestar Family Eye Care.

The exam went quite well, with a trainee doing most of the initial intake stuff and the Doctor handling the exam itself. I then went to the showroom to talk to the tech there and pick out what I wanted. Everyone was very nice and easy to work with. Dare I say it was even enjoyable?

What I ended up with was:

  1. New lenses for the frames I already have.
  2. A new clip-on with blue tint for computer work.
  3. A new pair of driving glasses with rose tint to help counter the oncoming headlights and a foam insert that snugs around my eyes to block out the flashing lights

Now that I’ve had a few weeks to try them all out, I can say a few things:

  1. I think I misunderstood something – these lenses have exactly the same scratch as my old ones did, so maybe I didn’t get new lenses after all.
  2. The blue tint clip-on thingy was a waste of money – my monitors are so far away I don’t use my reading glasses while I work (duh)
  3. The foam insert thingy feels very strange and is going to take some getting used to. I still think it will help but haven’t driven anywhere yet that proves either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment