Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Have I Mentioned Lately That I Really Hate Computers?

I got a disc in the mail the other day from one of my fellow volunteers on my Amazon trip containing her pictures! I’ve been eagerly waiting for it so immediately sat down at my computer to view them.

I ran in to a slight problem, however: I could not figure out how to get the disc into the computer!

I know, I know… that’s about as simple as you can get with computers. But honestly, I couldn’t figure it out.

I know where it goes. I can even get the outer door open. But I can’t slide the disc in – it won’t let me. I searched for a magic button, but couldn’t find one of those, either.

So, next I opened a window onscreen, accessing the My Computer thingy. My plan was to open the drive from there – but the drive wasn’t listed! All I had was the C drive and the Back-Up Device drive.

Now, I know I have a drive specifically for a disc. I know I do. It just wasn’t listed. As far as I could tell, the only way to get it on the list was to put a disc in the drive. However, the only way to put a disc in the drive was to open it thru My Computer – but it wasn’t listed!

It’s a vicious circle.

Finally, in desperation, I told the computer I wanted to burn a disc. It opened the door for me and told me to put a disc in, so I put the disc with the pictures on it in the slot. It then came back with an error message saying that it couldn’t burn that disc. I cancelled the operation, and it spit the disc out. Rather than removing it, I simply pushed it back in – and was able to view the pictures that way.

Sheesh! All that, just to look at a few photographs! Surely there must be an easier way…

No comments:

Post a Comment