Sunday, March 20, 2011

Phone Conversations

ME: Hello!
ROB: Hey, got a question for you. Who should we call for an injured bird?
ME: What’s going on?
ROB: Well, one of the guys here at work says there is an injured owl in the parking garage. He says it’s been there for several days now. It’s up on the 7th floor, and it just sits there staring at him. We wanted to call somebody to come get it, but don’t know who to call.
ME: Hmmm, I think you should call Bird TLC. They’re the ones that take in all the injured birds around here. They’re your best bet.
ROB: Okay, I’ll give them a call.
ME: Let me know how it goes. If that doesn’t work, I’ll come up with another idea.


ME: Hello!
ROB: It’s me. I called the bird people but they didn’t answer. Their message said “If you find an injured bird, pick it up – put it in a box – and bring it on in” but I don’t really want to go pick up a two and a half foot owl!
ME: No, I don’t think that would be a good idea! Two and a half feet – that’s a big owl! Wonder what kind it is?
ROB: I haven’t seen it myself. The guy here at work says it has a reddish splotch on its chest, like its hurt or something.
ME: Tell you what; let me call a friend of mine. She volunteers for the Bird TLC all the time. She’ll know what to do. I’ll call you back and let you know what she said.


BRITT: Hey, Ruth! How are you doing?
ME: Hi, Britt. I’m good – how are you?
BRITT: Getting ready for the fund raiser tonight. Should be a fun evening!
ME: Hey, I’ve got a problem I think you can help me with.
BRITT: What’s up?
ME: Well, a friend of mine works downtown and parks in the parking garage that is the bus depot. Do you know that building? He says there’s an injured owl on the 7th level. We tried calling Bird TLC, but didn’t get an answer.
BRITT: Yeah, they’re all getting ready for this fund raiser tonight. Let me call Dave – he’s already downtown, so could pop over and get the owl easily enough.
ME: Oh thanks! We’re all very concerned about it.


ROB: Hello!
ME: Hey, I called my friend from Bird TLC. She’s having some people head over to the parking garage right now to take a look and see what they can do. Tonight is their big fund raising event, so they’re all over at the hotel there, getting ready. They should be able to get the owl right away, and get it to the hospital.
ROB: That’s great! I’m on my way there right now, too. I want to see it before they take it away.
ME: Cool – you’ll be able to watch them catch it even!
ROB: Yeah, that would be cool. Oh, here they are now – Hi! Yes, I’m looking for the owl, too. – Hey, Ruth, the bird people are here. I’ll call you back, okay?
ME: Okay, I’ll talk to you later.


ME: Hello!
ROB: (laughing heartily) Hello!
ME: What’s going on? Did you find the owl? Is it okay? Did they catch it?
ROB: (still laughing heartily) Oh, we found it alright.
ME: Well, what’s going on?
ROB: (laughing even harder) IT’S PLASTIC!!!
ME: What! It’s plastic??!!
ROB: (HA, HA, HA!) Yeah, it’s plastic! I can’t believe *John Doe thought it was a real owl! (* the name has been changed to protect the innocent)
ME: Oh My God; that’s hilarious! It’s plastic…
ROB: The bird people are all laughing, too.
ME: This will probably end up in their Christmas newsletter.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, lucky Rob did not try to grab it himself! I hear those things can be vicious ... what with the plastic wings and plastic talons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt Coon10:37 AM

    That was pretty funny! The guys were laughing about it at the auction. That will make a good story for years to come! :)

    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:42 PM

    That is a great story! We get the injured animal calls all the time, I'm going to pass this on to our wildlife person tomorrow at work ~ she's going to love it.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:19 PM

    What a hoot, I will have to tell Hoot and Woody that story when I uncover them up on our roof this spring. This just shows their true profession, to make us laugh. They sure don't scare the gulls as intended.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hilarious. What a great story!

    I love that they were probably all dressed up. I wish there were pictures.

    ReplyDelete