Monday, March 14, 2011

IditaZoo 2011

This Saturday was The Alaska Zoo’s IditaZoo program, in celebration of the more universally known Iditarod Race. I got to work my 2-hour shift at the “Nome” Checkpoint station, near the porcupine exhibit.


“Nome” is the last stop in the Iditarod race, so at the zoo this was the last stop in our game of trivia. Each player gathered stamps on their map from all the checkpoints, and then got to turn them in at my station to claim their prize after answering one last question. I had 3 prizes they could choose from: Alaska Zoo Calendars, Alaska Zoo Pencils, or Alaska Zoo Animal Books.

I don’t know what it was like at all the other stations, but I had a line probably 15-20 people deep pretty much the entire time I was there. I went as quickly as I could, but I had to spend at least a few moments with each child to make them feel special and encourage them to think of the answers. Hopefully the crowds understood that and didn’t get frustrated with the waiting.

They did have the dogs right next door to watch while waiting, at least. Andy Larson, husband to Katie the education director at the zoo, brought his team over to meet everybody and give rides. They were very happy to be there, and got to show off their harnesses, boots, and sled. I got to enjoy the sounds of 16 very excited and happy dogs all day! I call that a win-win situation.

By the time I got to go home, I was a frozen block of ice, however. A nice hot cup of tea and some fuzzy warm socks (pink with purple and green polka dots) warmed me up eventually. Thing and Djuna did their part by curling up in my lap as I worked on the computer a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment