Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Heat Seekers

Devons are heat seekers.

Ask anybody who shares a home with one; they most certainly will agree. It could be because they barely have any hair at all or it could just be they love to be toasty warm. Regardless, they will find the sweet spot and take full advantage of even the tiniest puddle of sunshine.

For me, it all started with of the Alien: what little hair he had was across his back, leaving his belly entirely naked. He would sleep for hours on top of the cable box, which I thought was so cute – till I noticed he was actually developing bedsores. I quickly created a bed for him out of his carrying case, putting a heating pad wrapped up in one of my towels inside, draping another towel over the top of it to retain the heat better, and taking the door completely off. He very happily moved in and within a few weeks the bedsores healed.

Humorous aside here: He always smelled like toast to me. He was also about 300 degrees! I had to occasionally get him out of his box just to air him out.

The Alien passed away several years ago (and is greatly missed) but now I have two more Devons, Thing and Djuna.

Another humorous aside here: Thing always smells like coffee to me (which is odd, since there is no coffee in this house) and poor Djuna, I’m afraid, smells like her litter box.

My house is now equipped with heating pads in almost every room because of my girls. The brand new woolen electric blanket Mother got for me quickly became the property of my girls; it is laid out across the foot of my bed during the day and moved down to the floor in the corner of the room at night.

Djuna LOVES that blanket. Every time I go to move it she gets a panicked look on her face and rushes over to the blanket, spreading her feet out to cover as much of it as she can (which isn’t much at all considering the fact that she is a teeny tiny thing weighing barely 5 pounds) as if to say “No! You can’t take it! It’s MINE!

So you can imagine my surprise the other day when I walked into the bedroom and saw her all curled up comfortably on the bed and not on the blanket!

Apparently my new Memory Foam Mattress Topper has now been claimed as hers, too.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 AM

    too cute :)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan3:29 PM

    They do love sunshine and warm spots. Our dog Kelly had to be put down this past Sept. and is really missed. Her feet smelled like Fritoes!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete