Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Natural Bug Repellants

I am heading out to Kenya, Africa for 3 weeks to study medicinal plants with the Samburu tribes in November. I just realized that they have BUGS over there.

You laugh, but I'm from Alaska - we don't have bugs up here except for the killer mosquitoes. So, my question is = how do I avoid them?

Say for instance: LICE = how does one ensure that they don't take up residence in ones head?

And how about FLEAS = how does one go about avoiding those little buggers (no pun intended).

I know there are sprays and whatnot that can be purchased over the counter at just about any supermarket - but are there any reliable natural ones? Just about everybody I've spoken to so far says DEET is the thing, but I don't know ... sounds pretty scarry to me.

And most important of all - is there something I can put in my luggage that will deter them all from coming home with me? Something that won't get me arrested at customs, by the way.

5 comments:

  1. When you do come home, don't bring your luggage in right away. It would be bad to let African cockroaches or something loose in your house.

    http://health.kaboose.com/kids-health/lice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:10 PM

    There`s a spray that you put on your clothes and luggage a week before you leave that lasts weeks even after you wash your cloths.

    It`s supposed to kill ticks and everything else that lands on your cloths but some how be " harmless " to the user.

    B.Zaher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather10:44 PM

    So what is this magical spray? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:12 PM

    DEET is the only stuff I know that will keep things away. In Belize (mosquito coast) there was a big variety of stuff to try at the barefoot beach bar. I used DEET, Patricia used natural (only 30 bites), others tried misc. stuff with mixed results. I was the only one unscathed. The next night they all used DEET, too. You can get it in roll on or towelettes, so you don’t have to muck up your hands. Remember the Prep. H for the bites -- redness, swelling, itching. Maybe take used/leftover towelettes to put in your luggage. Or spray the inside really well with some home bug killer, which should last for a few weeks. I commend your green wishes, but this is not the time to be bug friendly. And you don’t want any spider bites!

    What fun you are having planning all this. I think anticipation is a huge part of the fun.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:38 AM

    The "magic bug spray" is called Permanone by Repel. It`s for clothing, tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and other gear. It has a long list of uses along with a long list of instructions. I think I bought it at Sportsmans Wharehouse in 2006 so I`m not sure where to find it.

    Active ingredient is Permethrin.

    I honestly don`t know how it works I forgot to use it before my trip to Africa. 100% deet worked as well as water would (as in not at all). There is something called "Peoples" from South Africa that is sold in different countries in Africa that comes in a can like other bug dope would but it smells like baby powder, is supposed to be harmless on the skin (as far as the South African government is concerned anyway) and everything else that deet will disolve (like camera lenses, packs, tents and contact lenses).

    B.Zaher

    ReplyDelete