Friday, January 30, 2009

Writing Assignment

I was contacted the other day by a lady who is writing a series of books that focus on worldwide volunteer programs. She wanted to include the Earthwatch Institute in them, so asked if I would mind writing a short story – about 300 words or less – highlighting my experiences with them.

Since I am practicing my writing skills for just this kind of assignment, I took a stab at it and ended up using 312 words. I have to say: limiting my words to such a small number is really hard! I have so much to say about Earthwatch I could go on and on and on…

Here is is:

My first expedition with Earthwatch was in Costa Rica where I spent 12 days in the rainforests studying caterpillars and their parasites. I learned a lot during that trip: I learned that Alaskans really don’t do well in the heat. I learned that the bugs in Costa Rica never EVER shut up and they are unbelievably LOUD. I learned how to put on wet cloths each morning, since nothing every dried out. I learned not to touch any caterpillar that has hair because it might be poisonous. I learned how to eat beans and rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner – for 12 days in a row. I learned not to follow a Blue Morpho butterfly, because they don’t pay attention to the trail system and will get you lost, every time.

My second expedition was a lot different, but no less of a learning experience. This time I spent 15 days camping out in Mongolia to study the ecology of the argali, the world’s largest mountain sheep. I learned how to live in a Mongolian Ger, otherwise known as a yurt. I learned how to wash my hair in a bucket because there’s no shower. I learned how to find my way back to camp after being dropped off out in the middle of the Gobi Desert with nothing but a GPS unit and a bottle of water. I learned how to capture and collar a wild mountain sheep. I learned that Mongolians are very friendly people, even if you can’t speak their language. I learned that fracturing your kneecap takes roughly 3 months to heal. I also learned that dislocating your jaw takes even longer to heal, and is more painful.

I can’t wait for my third expedition to find out what I’ll learn next. This time, I’ll be spending 15 days in Kenya studying both medicinal plants and Grevy’s zebras.

---

Constructive criticism and/or feedback is always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment