Monday, January 19, 2009

Wacky Weather

Man, we're having some Wacky Weather lately!

For weeks, the temperatures have been well below zero - now all of the sudden they're way up in the forty's! People are flooding out all over the place and roads are just one big sheet of ice made even slicker by a coating of water on top.

Here's a funny thought: I think we must be the only state in the Union that closes schools down because it got warm!

My brother's house, out in the valley, had it the worst in my family. He was down to about 39 below one day then all the way up to 43 above the next! That's a 82 degree temperature swing - all in 24 hours!

Mother's farmhouse flooded out down in the basement for the first time in how many years? Thankfully, she didn't loose much - just the bookshelf she was painting for me, wouldn't you know. She was able to keep ahead of the water, sopping it up with rags and bailing it out on a daily basis.

My house is on a rather steep hill, so flooding was not a concern. The ice, however, most definitely was a concern! I have a hard time getting into my garage on good days as it is. With all that glaciation going on, it was darned near impossible. I have to get a good running start at it, and just hope & pray I am able to stop the car before hitting the back wall once I do make it up.

Even so, I have to say it is so nice to be warm again finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment