Sunday, November 02, 2008

Job Interview

I had my first actual job interview the other day!

One of the local architectural firms I had sent my resume to called me in to talk to me. We had actually spoken for about half an hour on the phone ahead of time, so I wasn’t sure exactly what was left to talk about, but I guess a little face-time was called for.

It was rather unexpected, really. I sent them my resume without their soliciting it, meaning it was a “cold contact” and not a reply to a job posting. I guess one of their employees recognized my name and told them to give me a call (and if I actually get a job there, I owe her big time!).

I have actually worked with the man in charge in the past on a few committees I’ve taken part in for the local AIA group (The American Institute of Architects, or www.aia.org) but he didn’t remember me until I pointed that out to him. I had also run into him several times at the conventions out in Girdwood, so I was relatively comfortable talking to him right off the bat.

I tried so hard to be on time for my interview. Those of you who know me well know that I am chronically early for everything. This time, I vowed to be ON TIME. And I would have been except that I had the wrong time down on my schedule! I thought the interview was to be at 1:00 but it was supposed to be at 2:00 instead, so I showed up an hour early.

Sigh…

They were kind enough to say that it was not a big deal, and went ahead with the interview anyway.

It’s a good company – they have a nice office, with a first-class feel to it. I think I would like working there. It’s a small company with only about 20 people, as opposed to the 38 people in the last office I worked in. But that’s ok – I like a smaller firm anyway.

They’ve done some impressive work, too. Looking at their walls while waiting for the interview, I saw that they had a part in the Seward Sealife Center even!

I’m fairly optimistic and hopeful…

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Hope you get the job!

    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Amazing & wonderful.. sounds like
    all one could ask for.. such a
    spontaneous conection etc.. with
    previous contacts... you go Girl
    with enthusiasm & prayers.. chris

    ReplyDelete